Travelog

FROM The man in the front seat / February 27, 2014

Liberty Square (Porto)

The square is a continuation of the Avenida Dos Aliados  and is the most important in the city. History The square was begun in 1718 to urbanise the city and was originally known as New Square (Praça Nova), originally confined by the old medieval walls and a series of palaces, all of which now have been destroyed. In 1788 the Order of Saint Eligius (Santo Lóios) built a convent on the southern side, where the old walls once stood. This building is today known as Cardosas Palace (Palácio das Cardosas)and […]

Read more

FROM The man in the front seat / February 27, 2014

Church of Saint Ildelfonso (Porto)

Ildephonsus of Toledo was the Bishop of Toledo, Spain from 657 until his death in 667.  A cleric and a scholar he is known for his devotion to the Virgin Mary and reportedly experienced a vision of her on the 18th December 665. This church, located on Batalha Square,  is dedicated to him with this present construction being completed 1739. History The earliest known reference to a church on this spot dates from 1296 when it is mentioned in a document by Vincente Mendes, the Bishop of Porto, although it […]

Read more

Subscribe to our newsletter
* = required field
Connect with us
Contact us
Search