Is a Croatian island lying just of the Dalmatian coast and is the second most populated island Adriatic island after Krk. The island measures, on average, 46.8km (29.1mi) long and 7.8km (4.8mi) wide and is rich in vineyards, olive groves and small villages. The south coast is steep and laced with quiet coves and small beaches. The north however, is much flatter and as a result has many of the islands harbours. Many of the islands are still alive with religious ceremonies, folk music and dances still being performed. For the wine lover, the island produces a wonderful sweet dessert wine which is produced using the Grk grape which grows primarily in the south-west of the island.
The town of Korčula is wonderful, with its marble streets and Gothic architecture guarded over by its citadel make it a must see. Korčula Town is built around a natural harbour and is surrounded walls and defensive towers.
One of the most unique features of Korčula, is the incredible street design which is aimed at creating safety and comfort to its inhabitants. Any streets running west, are straight to allow the summer the maestral, a strong westerly wind, to flow through the town and refresh it. The eastern streets however are curved in order to minimise the bura, a cold north-easterly wind which come primarily in winter.
Even though Neolithic remains have been found, the islands history begins in the 6th century B.C. with arrival of the Greeks, who settled in the south-west around the present day Lumbarda. The Venetians arrived around the millennium and stayed for almost 800 years, using the islands stone which they quarried and exported. The stone masons developed wonderful skills and techniques which lead to a distinctive building style which was used in the streets and buildings of many of the islands towns and villages. The natural wooded land also provided them with resources to create a prosperous ship building industry which would last up until Napoleon arrived with his conquest of Dalmatia in 1797. The defeat of the French saw the island be Austro-Hungarian before becoming part of the former Yugoslavia in 1921.