Located on the Gulf of Kotor, Kotor is, without doubt, one of the most impressive places in Montenegro. This fortified town, located at the foot of Mount Lovćen with its overhanging limestone cliffs, has become one of the most visited places on the Balkan coast.
One of the most impressive things about Kotor, is its location. It is hidden in a secluded bay of the beautiful Gulf of Kotor. Not only Kotor, but the surrounding area also, has been fortified since the 6thcentury to prevent attacks from the sea, giving it a wonderful character of natural and man made charm.
Although the towns origins are not known exactly, it was mentioned as far back as 168 BC, being known to the Romans as Ascriviumor Ascruvium and was part of the Roman province of Dalmatia. In the 535 AD, the town received its first fortifications and was passed to the Eastern Roman Empire, or Byzantine Empire. It is from this period that the present name originated as it was then known as Dekatera or Dekaderon. The Adriatic region was eventually dominated by the Republic of Venice in 1420, and Kotor remained in Venetian control for more than 350 years. Most of the architecture of today, derives from this period and contributed to UNESCO making it a World Heritage Site.
The Town has suffered many tragedies including sieges in 1538 & 1657 by the Ottoman Turks as well as earthquakes in 1563 & 1667. In WW1, Kotor was one of three main bases for the Austro-Hungarian navy and home of the Austrian 5thFleet. With the completion of the war in 1918, the town became part of Yugoslavia and continued to be the home of the Yugoslav navy.
Cathedral of St. Tryphon
St. Tryphon is the patron and protector of the city and his cathedral, sits on the same site where a church was built in 809 AD. That church, like this Cathedral, kept the remains of the saint when they were brought from Constantinople. This building was consecrated on 19 June 1166 and is one of the finest examples of Romanesque architecture in the Balkan region. Although damaged by earthquakes in 1667 and again in 1979, the building has no only been salvaged, but also well restored. The interior contains 14thcentury frescos as well as various reliefs in silver and gold.